Early Thanksgiving Musing

 Ok Surgery is Tuesday and there is a percent of the equation that is unknown. How much of the tongue is getting removed is the largest part of the equation for me. I am fine with as much as necessary to remove the cancer. I am not so fine with the thought of loosing my tastebuds. I know Cancer and the potentially fatal aspect and I am worried about tastebuds.

Ok let me explain. About a decade and a half ago. I reached a spot in life where life was good. Finances were good. Bills were getting paid down. Borderline successful. Then Life kicked me in the balls. A major back injury that resulted in a fusion of my lower spine. Well surgery created as many problems as it fixed and I was not able to do what I loved. Getting out roaming around the woods and working. I went through a major depression that almost resulted in my air dropping my soul to Gods Doorstep. After a decade I am at about 30% of what I use to be able to do physically. I have had to change everything that I do so I do not pay a higher pain tax. It works.

I am or was at a place that success was in the cards again and well life kicked me in the balls as hard as it could. Cancer and of my tongue. Well why does this matter. I love food. I love flavor. I love exploring those two. The though of loosing another thing that I love in my life is beyond scary and kind of pisses me off. I guess time will tell. I joke about if I loose my tatsebuds I still have bread because that is a ratio or % formula that will give consistent results. Hell I might become a baker just to give the universe the middle finger and figure out how to do it so I do not increase my pain tax. 

I do know I want to live and I do not mean just exist I mean live. To hell with the safety of the hum drum life. I am tired of the work life balance or work work balance that exists now.  It just is a matter of figuring out how to make some changes in life that my better half is ok with. She is more the safety and security type. IE the opposite of me so it no we balance out each other once we agree on something lol.

I am still trying to figure out a direction that this blog will go as of right now it is a ship sitting in the doldrums floating back and forth. I will keep plugging along and the direction will reveal itself. I am thinking food, the history of dishes and lifes adventures will be the direction but right now if I limit my thinking I may miss something that develops in my mind. 

Thanksgiving Dinner aka Turkey Day Dinner:

I mentioned prep and planning things out to not increase my pain tax (aka pain level). Sometimes in addition to that I have to plan ahead for time. Sourdough is one of those times and well making the bread fresh is great but for a stuffing/dressing bread needs to be stale. So I have made the bread for this dish already. Sourdough Rosemary Olive Oil Bread. 


This is a Sourdough Rosemary Olive Oil Bread that will become part of a Savory Bread Pudding aka dressing

I have also made the Collard Greens and have those in the freezer. The main reason I made those is well we love Collards and they can be hard to find under normal times. Not taking a chance with them this year. 

Orange Cranberry Sauce.

I love fresh cranberry sauce the day of thanksgiving and the canned stuff the next day for the sandwich :). 

My daughter made some pies and a pumpkin mouse last night. Photos of that might come depending on light conditions and energy levels. 

In the mean time I am going to finish Turkey Day Cooking and enjoy the day and enjoy spending time with the family and any friends that join in. Worry about tomorrow and Tues when they arrive :). 


Comments

Popular Posts