Bread, Cooking, and Photography Are My Happy Places....

 First things first. I pray for those that were in the path of the monster last night. Horror does not even begin to describe the devastation that I have seen in the images getting posted. Fortunately, we are far enough south that we just had wind and rain with some thunder. The worst of it missed us. Thank you, God. Rather than watch TV coverage of it I choose to watch a YouTube live stream that was excellent coverage of the storm as it progressed. I am thankful for tech like that being available now. 

Now on to happier news. Windows have been replaced and are new. The front and back doors are new and have been replaced. Today the floors will be started so they will be new. Progress on the home front and progress to making this our home. 

My mouth is healing nicely, and the Dr was pleased with the progress. The pathology report came back clean so no Chemo....Fucking Amazing it was like hitting the lotto. I cannot eat hard or sharp foods for about another two weeks... Normally not an issue.  Normally... But I wanted some sourdough and homemade fresh bread. I did not want a quicker sandwich loaf with commercial yeast. I wanted a true sourdough. I dug around and found a recipe from the FoodGeek for a loaf. I used this recipe and made one change. I added a bit more butter than it called for because I wanted the extra fat to help with the softness.


This is not a quick as in 2 hour or 3-hour quick bread. It is a quick bread by sourdough standards. It took me about 11 hours from start to finish but it was cooler in my house, and I understood that it would take a bit longer. I could have shortened the time to about 8 hours, but I was not in a hurry. 

The Crumb shot

After I baked the loaf and no the top is not burnt. I love baking my breads darker it adds incredible flavor to the crust. After it cooled overnight, I wanted to get a crumb shot or interior shot of the loaf. It was perfect for what I was trying to accomplish. Well What do you do with the cut bread. I could do a sandwich but I decided to toast the bread and have it with some peanut butter. 



The flavor was delish and it hit the spot. 

I think in some way baking and cooking even photography are my happy places because it forces my mind to shut up so I can focus on what I am doing. Either way the three are therapeutic for me and I will continue doing them. 

 

Comments

  1. That looks delicious, Russ! Thanks for sharing your happy places with everyone.

    I'm so glad you're recovering from the surgery so well. Guess you've got a strong constitution!

    We were up watching the TV weatherpeople at 3 AM last night, but all was fine. We watched nasty weather cells slide by the north side of Nashville, but all we got was heavy rain driven by heavy winds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're doing well - great news! Happy to see you back to baking - I'm trying to figure a way around all these food sensitivities, especially since very few alternatives exist for my multiple issues. Oh well, I've had it worse before.

    Knocked out of bed at 2:15 by thunder, but had to be up anyway to get my brother and sister-in-law to MEM for a flight out (delayed, of course) early. Got a lot of T&L and minds, but no real damage. So sad for the folks who had the most severe end of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is both sad and scary. If you get stuck and need any ideas hit me up and I will see if my brain power can contribute anything to your process.

      Delete
  3. Your dedication has turned out a beautiful end product. The crumb shot says it all. It's a real art to do what you do. Just a shame I can't smell or taste it, we haven't got the tech for that yet.😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts